Thursday, April 18, 2019
Provincial Offences are non-criminal or quasi-criminal laws made by the Province of Ontario; however, the responsibility for the Provincial Offences Courts has been transferred by the province to municipalities across Ontario. (Criminal law can be enacted only at the federal level. Please see the Criminal Code of Canada.)
Provincial Offences Notices are primarily laid by the police, including those committed under the following:
- Highway Traffic Act - such as speeding, careless driving, or not wearing your seat belt
- Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act - such as failing to surrender your insurance card, or possessing a fake or invalid insurance card
- Liquor License Act - such as being intoxicated in a public place; selling alcohol to a minor or to a person who is intoxicated; or selling alcohol without a license or selling alcohol with a suspended or revoked license
- Trespass to Property Act - such as entering premises when entry is prohibited or failing to leave the premises after being directed to do so
- City by-laws - such as infractions under Ottawa's noise, smoking, taxi and animal care by-laws
There are three different types of provincial offence notices. A Part I notice is a ticket that is issued to an individual, a Part II notice is a parking infraction, and a Part III notice is a summons (including a court date).
There are many enforcement agencies in Ottawa, who can issue you a ticket, including:
- City By-law Enforcement (Ottawa Public Health, Municipal and Licensing and Standards officers)
- Ottawa Fire Services
- Ottawa Police Service
- Ontario Provincial Police
- Ministry of Transportation
- Ministry of Environment
- Ministry of Labour
- Ministry of Natural Resources
- Ministry of Health
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
- O.C. Transpo
The Lever Paralegal Agency can appear in court on your behalf to argue the merits of your defense.
* Some information from the City of Toronto Court Services.
The Lever Paralegal Agency ©
2763 Kelly Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K2B 7V2
Phone: 613-321-9873 or 613-680-6868 Fax: 1-888-240-5517
The Lever Paralegal Agency is a fully insured Voting Member of the Paralegal Society of Ontario
The Lever Paralegal Agency is comprised of members and accredited licensees of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Nothing contained, expressed or implied on this website is intended as, or should be taken or understood as, legal advice.